See.Sense is Cycling Ireland’s Official Bike Light Supplier, and we are delighted to be supporting the AXA Community Bike Rides programme.
As an active AXA Community Bike Ride Leader, you have been provided with a See.Sense smart bike light to make you more visible on your rides, and help provide Cycling Ireland with important data insights that will be used to grow the AXA Community Bike Ride programme.
Whenever you are on an AXA Community Bike Ride, Cycling Ireland request that you use the See.Sense light, connected to the See.Sense app, so that we can collect data insights about your individual ride. These insights will be used by Cycling Ireland to engage and motivate individuals to take part or increase their participation in AXA Community Bike Rides.
As an active AXA Community Bike Ride Leader, you have been provided with a smart light so that we can collect data in relation to your individual bike rides. These lights are being provided by See.Sense, Cycling Ireland's Official Bike Light Supplier and Ride Insights provider.
The data collected will help to build a visual ‘heat map’ of the locations of AXA Community Bike Rides that we plan to share on both the Cycling Ireland and AXA Community Bike Rides websites.
Whenever you are on an AXA Community Bike Ride, you are required to use the See.Sense light so we can collect data about your individual ride. This information will facilitate us to create maps, to help engage and motivate individuals to take part or increase their participation in AXA Community Bike Rides.
Thank you for joining this smart cycling project with Cycling Ireland.
Please note, that we encourage you to use the light on all your bike rides, however, we would ask that you only connect to the app when you are leading an AXA Community Bike Ride. This is to ensure the ‘heat maps’ we create represent these bike rides as opposed to all the other rides you may part take in!
Find out more about your light and the data collection process below:
Yes! A car’s lights shine during daylight so why not a bike’s? If something as large as a car needs to be seen during daylight hours, we think cyclists need to be kept visible with daylight-visible lights too. All See.Sense lights are daylight-visible bike lights and are brighter and stronger than those just created for night-time use. As a result drivers have more time to see you, react and give you space on the road.
The lens on the light is designed to give you 200° of side visibility, keeping you as visible from the side as you are from behind.
Please watch the video above for a demonstration of how to mount your light. It is important that the black o-rings sit flush in the channels of the mount. As long as this is installed correctly, the mount will hold the light securely in place. For good data collection, the light must be mounted on the bike and not on the Ride Leader or their bag
When turned on, the light will enter sleep mode after 3 minutes of inactivity. It will automatically activate again after any movement is detected. The light will never enter this mode if a rider is on the bike, it is only when it is completely still. This does not use any additional battery and cannot be disabled.
ACE has three different flash modes which can be accessed by the button:
1. Flash Mode (Recommended) - On this mode you will get up to 10 hours of runtime. The top and bottom sections of the board flash alternately. The light will react to riskier moments on the road (e.g. at roundabouts or filtering in traffic) our lights react by automatically flashing brighter and faster to make sure you stand out.
2. Solid Mode - On solid mode, the whole LED board stays on constant and does not react at all. 2 hours max runtime.
3. ECO Mode - 30 hours max (this is only available via a 2nd button press after solid mode and reduces the light output significantly to extend runtime and is also handy for riding in a group so that it does not dazzle those riding close behind you. This mode reacts to both light and movement.
The See.Sense companion app provides the ability to customise the flash pattern, adjust brightness levels and turn on brake mode. When your light is at 20% capacity, you will receive an alert to notify you have a low battery.
If turned on via our app crash alerts will notify your nominated contact of your location in case of a crash. Once the light has detected a crash you will have 30 seconds to cancel the notification before your phone sends the alert text to your contact. The following video shows how to set up crash alerts and what you should expect to happen should you be unfortunate enough to have a crash:
If turned on via the app the theft alert function will alert you if someone moves your bike while you are not with it (up to 100m radius range). It’s ideal for those times you stop for a coffee, or if you are visiting a shop and didn’t bring a heavy lock with you. Find out how to set up theft alert and see an example of it in action:
If brake mode is turned on via the app, half of the LED board will light up solid and the other half will remain flashing when braking. When you move again after braking the light will revert to flashing. The light will not react to light or any other movement except medium-hard braking.
You can also access our unique ride stats showing your total miles, calories burned and CO2 saved. Find out more about Ride Stats here. Your Ride Stats will build up over a total period of time. If you would like to track your Ride Stats for a specific ride for example, you will need to reset them and track them from that point onwards, otherwise they will continue to accumulate. To reset your Ride Stats, go to Settings > Stat Settings > Reset Ride Stats.
You should only need to complete the following steps once:
1. You must download the free See.Sense app on iOS or Android:
2. Connect your light and the app. Guidance on how to connect your light to your app is shown in this video:
3. Join the See.Sense community by enabling ‘cycling insights’. To enable cycling insights, follow the steps in this video. This will only need to be done once.
4. Make sure you have entered the project code for this project, the code is AXARIDELEADER. There is guidance on how to enter the code here:
1. Ensure your location settings are enabled and your app is open or in the background.
2. Check your light is connected to the app. A small blue LED will be flashing on the top of your light if it is connected.
3. Switch your light on and ride! See.Sense lights only send data while your light is on.
Yes, your smartphone will have to be with you on your ride and also connected through our app to the light (keeping it on in the background is OK). This allows for data to be collected and then sent to the cloud via your smartphone once your ride has ended. Your phone doesn't have to be on your handlebars, it can be in your pocket or backpack.